Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Goose Bumps Indeed: R. López de Heredia


When I was invited on this lavish trip to La Rioja, first I pinched myself to affirm that it was real and then second, I consulted a friend in Portland, OR to find out whether there were any bodegas in La Rioja that I should pay particular attention to. His response: "It would be criminal if you were not able to visit one of the greatest producers in the WORLD.  Bodegas R. López de HerediaThese are amazing traditional wines from Rioja…Please visit this estate for me, as this winery is on my bucket list.  These are goose bump wines."

What more convincing could I need? I dialed up a different friend, the one planning the trip, to see if there was anyway we could visit the folks at RLH. A few hours later, we had ourselves a reservation for a guided tour the following Saturday.

Now, writing this retrospectively, I can say that the imploring I received encouraging me to visit RLH is undoubtedly merited. This is the most interesting winery that I've visited to date. I was moved by my visit, in the same way that I can be moved by Neruda or Satie. When I created this blog, I wanted to feature a certain kind of wine- I landed on the word 'authentic' wine (more accurately I borrowed it from Goode and Harrop). This winery embodies all that I find enchanting about wine: the tradition, the appreciation, the precision, the patience, and, as I will describe later: the harmony. I could erase the "Philosophy" tab on my blog and just provide a link to their website instead. 


In the simplest of terms, R. López de Heredia has not changed its winemaking practices since they first began in 1877. The winery is till owned and managed by the López de Heredia family and the wine is made by the granddaughter of the original Rafael. It is the third oldest winery in La Rioja, yet, ascribes to an entirely different philosophy from its more commercial counterparts in the region. It is undoubtedly revered, however. I learned this both from reading about the winery on various online forums as well as from judging from the "oohs and ahhs" I received when I told other people in the region and the greater Kingdom of Spain. 

As I said before, one of the most remarkable things about R. López de Heredia is the harmony that they achieve between vines, cellars and market. There is almost a poetry to every wine making decision that they make and, I kid you not, there were times during the tour where I clutched my heart and swayed a bit because I was so impressed/delighted/touched by the balance they achieve. 

Grape clusters are still collected in poplar back-packs which allow a certain weight, from there the winery to count and pay accordingly. However, our guide shared that most of the harvesting was still done by friends of the family, as per tradition in Haro, the home of R. López de Heredia. Grapes are loaded into large vessels, where hand woven mats help to filter. What else do they use to filter? Egg whites, fish scales, mesh wires? None of the above, instead they use tight bundles of dried grape vines which trap stems and seeds. These seeds and stems (and eventually skins) are used to then fertilize the vines. This is what I mean about harmony: using the vines that produced the grapes in order to filter the wine.

Another fine example of this aforementioned harmony happens in the workshop where the barrels are made. Every R. López de Heredia barrel is made on sight and their two coopers (cooper: n. someone who makes wooden staved vessels, bound together with hoops and possessing flat ends or heads) have been working on the premises for over 50 years. It takes them a full day to make one barrel, whereas, in a mechanized system, a barrel could be made in about an hour. In order to impart desired flavors in the wine, barrels are toasted over a fire. Here, this happens on sight and is one of the final steps of the process. A barrel can be used for about 7-8 years and then needs to be replaced. What happens with the old barrel? Here, it is dismantled and used to light a fire that will toast the next barrel. Ahh, it's just so damn beautiful. 

As we toured the facilities we learned to keep a safe distance from the walls. They were covered in a thick, thick layer of mold, which we were assured was outrageously healthy. It meant that the wines were in a good environment and also that the people working at R. López de Heredia were in tip-top shape. Our guide shared that the mold had the same strain (strain? is that the right word?) as Penicillin and for that, she hasn't had a flu in years (although, she's admittedly had a lot of colds from having to change temperatures between rooms of the bodega). 

In the small room where the oldest wines are kept, one can hardly see that they're there. Instead, it's a wall of circular, fuzzy mold patterns. Yet, behind the fungus are some of Spain most prized wines. A guest asked if they were for sale and for how much. We never got an answer to the latter question (our guide was probably trying to be discreet) however, she did share that they weren't for sale. In fact, even wealthy collectors who would arrive with a 'name your price' attitude (an infamous 'point-giver' included) were refused sale. Those who receive wines, or who can purchase them, are those customers who have been with R. López de Heredia the longest.  One must wonder who then, who are these lucky individuals who sip Viña Tondonia wines in secret? Do they possibly want a young, American friend with whom they can muse about wine? 

We finished our tour with a little cata. We got to try 2004 Viña Gravonia, 2003 Viña Bosconia and a 2002 Viña Tondonia Reserva (which anywhere else would easily be considered a Gran Reserva, but, R. López de Heredia ascribes to their own, stricter standards of Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva). The wines were accompanied with jamón serrano, bread, salchicones and excellent company. While I might have been the guest who was farthest from home, there were many other giddy enthusiasts from as far as Scotland and Ireland or as near as Basque Country or Madrid. We talked about all sorts of things: terroir, Asturian bagpipes, puns about coopers and which wine we liked best. For me, it was easily the 2004 Viña Gravonia: quite possibly the best wine I've had- ever. Naturally, this is all influenced by my mood, environment and intellectual appreciation for the winemaking process at R. López de Heredia. One thing is for certain, my PDX friend was right: these are goose-bump wines. 

"The quality of our wine is the fruit of an artisanal harvest acquired through effort and honesty in the course of over 100 years."

8 comments:

  1. What McKenzie hasn't told is that one of the people conforming the same english-speaking group we were part of made a REALLY good joke while we were being explained the barrel making techniques.
    The guide was explaining that the profession of Barrel-making (n: Cooper) was one that passed from fathers to sons and one that will probably be lost in a couple of decades.
    Then an scotish lady part of our group asked if any of the coopers working for the winery had a son. The guide asked yes and then the lady said that the problem was solved because they already had a "mini cooper".
    Everybody laughed because one of the winery workers had parked (and everybody in the group had seen it) in front of the winery a "mini cooper" (a classic one, not the new one made by BMW).

    The guide (and everyone in the group) laughed and even the guide said that she would probably use that very same joke in further guided tours.

    Even if her accent in english was very strong I must say that is was a very enjoyable experience and that I will surely remember this visit for a LONG LONG time.

    To McKenzie's friend in Portland OR I must say THANKS for changing our schedule and giving me the opportunity of visiting the most interesting winery I have ever seen.

    THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My pleasure. I am so pleased that you got to experience LDH. I have not had the pleasure yet, but I will get there soon. To McKenzie, I just sent you another mission.....this one is closer to home. Special thanks to you for visiting LDH and providing me with a wonderful re-cap. I'm even more excited to visit here now. Goose bumps, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I supose you are talking about BERnabe Y NAvarro winery in Villena. That certainly can be solved. What I'm trying to do is to organize a visit to one strange guy who works only with Grenache called Jimenez Landi.

    www.jimenezlandi.com

    I was told just yesterday evening that he had been visiting us in Alicante last monday so it was a shame beceause he is an stalwart defender of "viticulture biodinamique" which is what McKenzie is interested in.
    Really, really good Grenaches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way. Maybe you have mentioned that Winery because it was qualified as the one with the best Monastrell in Spain. The success their wines had is largely related to the experience of their former enologue, Jose Antonio Amorós Cervera. I think that now he's working in a different project in Jumilla.

    I will try to get you more information.

    Needless to say, if you ever come to Spain (and specially to the easternmost part of Spain) we will ensure that you are well received.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Manuel,

    Thank you for your reply. I mentioned the winery because I was presented with his orange wine "tinajas de la mata" by his USA Importer and was blown away by it. McKenzie had asked if I had any leads on producers in the Alicante area just a week prior, so when a stunning wine was presented to me and it was from there, I had to recommend it. Plus, there are not too many wines being made in National Parks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have known BERnabe Y NAVarro for a long, long time. I think the first time I tried something from that winery was something like 7 o 8 years ago (OMG time flies) during a lunch (that after 7 hours turned into a dinner) in my favourite restaurant ever (that sadly has been closed for two years). I remember that bottle was very, very good. Anyway I will try to get Kenzie there if I have the opportunity before she leaves Alicante. They are good friends of us and I think a visit shouldn't be very difficult to organize.
    Try to drink a little bit of the Salvador Poveda's Fondillon I gave her (If she hasn't drunk it entirely before getting back to the US, that's it).

    And of course my offer of acting as a guide and translator for you if you ever come to Spain remains open.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Readers, check out what other folks are saying about this winery.
    (http://www.vinography.com/archives/2010/11/1957_r_lopez_de_heredia_vina_t.html)
    I found this article on vinography.com under the list of "Perfect 10s".

    ReplyDelete