Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Garnacha Tintorera or Pigeon Blood?



This weekend was full of firsts for this American: my first time visiting a Spanish pueblo, my first time tasting sheep’s brain, my first catholic procession, my first visit to a Spanish bodega [vineyard], and my first giant family meal in Spain. In many cases, I hope this is the first of several occasions, while others, like the brain and the procession, can remain as memories of “that one time in Alpera where I ate goat brains and walked it off behind her holiness, Santa Cruz”.

Santa Cruz is the name of the saint in Alpera and it’s also the name of the wine made in the village. The 2012 Santa Cruz de Alpera received the Gold Selection as the best young wine in Castilla-La Mancha. So, we’re talking about some very good wine. Somehow, Bacchus from above, ordained that I would have a Spanish host-family with some serious wine connections. In fact, my host “brother-in-law”, Guillermo, is the jefe, the manager of the entire cooperative where Santa Cruz de Alpera is produced. I had the pleasure of getting an extensive tour of the facilities from him, as well as some of his personal thoughts on the regional, national and international wine industry.

Guillermo was both literally and figuratively grandfathered into the business. As a little boy, he would come help his father and learn from the oenologist who was a family friend. At that time, the bodega, was far smaller and it was finely tuned to the palate of the aforementioned oenologist. They made only vino ecológico, however, not for marketing prouesse, but instead because it made little sense to do otherwise; they were making good wine without added inputs. Guillermo said that the winery inevitably grew overtime- growth was necessary as were changes in winemaking practices. While most of the wine that is made at Bodega Santa Cruz de Alpera is not ‘natural’, Guillermo thinks that it is generally far better than when he was a child.

While he personally prefers the more “woody, earthy” tastes of the ‘natural’ wine that is made at the bodega, he recognizes that it is surely not the most popular. In the country where Rioja reigns supreme, other wines that don’t mirror it’s powerful, fruity flavor have little hope for success. Therefore, the typical wine made by Guillermo and his 25 or so employees follows that vein.

But, the cooperative collects a small variety of grapes and separates them by a) varietal and b) quality. They make a Verdejo, which I tasted with our tapas meal the night before (extraordinary). They also collect Tempranillo and Syrah to blend or make distinct bottles. Their most popular grape, and that which renders the bodega particular, is the Garnacha Tintorera grown in the region and used in their wines. It is the only known grape varietal with dark, colorful flesh and an equally intense flavor when harvested and fermented.

Later that same day, I was able to accompany my other host “brother-in-law”, José, to his vines that grow both eating grapes and wine grapes. Here, I got to see the Garnacha Tintorera in action. Never before had I permanently stained my clothes or my hands with grape juice, but never before had I squeezed ol’ tintorera. 

The sun was setting in Spain as I strolled through the vines at the base of some unknown colinas. It was warm out, I was feeding myself grapes off the vine with my head cocked back to catch the juices. I had a belly full of fresh tomatoes, a clear mind thanks to my siesta and friends in Alicante to come back to. I wanted to squeal, “que suerte tengo yo!” So I did. My host mom just chuckled. I say that almost every day (usually during mealtime)…I’m not even sure if it’s correct Spanish. Maybe soon, I’ll have enough suerte to know whether it is or not. Until then, salud.


P.S. The same meal I ate the sheep brain, my host father returned from a pigeon hunt and wanted to take shots, chupitos, to celebrate. I indulged him. The next morning I woke up with a hangover (no duh…I was alternating shots of Limoncetto with Crema de Cocoa) and went to get some breakfast out of the fridge. When I pulled out what I thought was a rollo, a sweet bread eaten every year to celebrate the procession, I found a floppy, dead pigeon instead. Esta vez, no tuve tanta suerte.


No comments:

Post a Comment