Monday, June 24, 2013

I've Traded in my Wine Glasses for a Foot Pedal.



   Enfin revenue!  I write to you today from my apartment in NW Portland. Gone are the days of sleeping on Parisian sofas, dreaming of the next day’s bubbly, dry, tannic or fruité delights. No longer do I spend my afternoons deep in French conversation about soil, gustatory pleasures or sulfites. No more metros, TGVs or rented cars to take me the next fascinating vineyard, cellar or wine bar. Plus de cheese plates, charcuterie boards and wine flights. Instead, I have traded these things for a foot pedal, a pair of head phones (and a diet rich in steamed vegetables). Indeed- transcription has begun.

    I have never transcribed anything before. However, the thought of it appeals to me. For some reason, I really enjoy typing and trying to maintain nice posture in an office chair. Simple pleasures, right? I am beginning to wonder if I will be whistling a different tune, however, when my summer of transcription comes to a close. What could be the reason for this change of heart? Well, my friends, transcription is very slow. And, unfortunately, I seem to be particularly slow. “They” say that for every hour of recording, one should plan for four hours of transcription. My guess is that “they” didn’t plan for the subject of the recording to regularly drop obscure names of chefs, restaurants, wine domaines or varietals. 

     I also fear that “they” didn’t account for recordings that were not in the transcriber’s native tongue. One things for sure: my french orthographe is sure to improve as a result of the hundreds of hours I will invest this summer. All I can say is “bring it on!” I’m a 22 year old American who wants to ultimately work in the gourmet food and wine industry so now is the time to learn these words, ideas and theories. And what better way to do so than to meticulously copy down every word said by the most renown individuals in the industry? 

Wish me luck! Souhaitez-moi bonne chance!



No comments:

Post a Comment